Assalamualaikum w.b.t and good morning.
- First and foremost, I would like to express my deepest appreciation to our Guest of Honor, Yang Berbahagia Dr Ong Kian Ming, Deputy Minister of International Trade and Industry Malaysiafor spending time off from his busy and demanding schedule, to be here with us today to officiate one of the historic events in the national marine industry.I also would like to acknowledge our co-host, Universiti Kuala Lumpur. I deeply appreciate each and every one of your presence today.
- For your information, Technology Depository Agency (TDA) is an agency under the Ministry of Finance Malaysia (MOF), mandated as the implementer of Industrial Collaboration Program (ICP) Policy and Guidelines. The ICP implementation is intended to complement various Government policies and incentives in making Malaysia as a conducive place to do business and greater market expansion, domestically and regionally. In essence, we could be assured that for every Ringgit Malaysia we spent on Government procurement, the country is getting back more value in the form of technology transfer, human capital development and local companies’ enhancementin the global supply chain.
- Having said that, the event we are witnessing today is another milestone for TDA in the effort of supporting the local industry development. The First National Symposium on Marine Technology 2018(NSMT 2018) is co-hosted by TDA and UNIKL with the theme “Competitiveness of Shipbuilding Through Design”.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- In August 2016, TDA and UniKL signed a memorandum of understanding to collaborate on human resource development, supply chain and technology management focused on the rail, maritime, aerospace and automotive. To-date, TDA has worked with several UniKL branches such as UniKL MIMET, UniKL IPROM and UniKL MIAT.
- Currently, TDA and UniKL MIMET are working to develop the first marine design center in Malaysia that will be called the 'Asia Marine Design Center' (AMDeC). Congratulations and thank you to UniKL for proactively ensuring the success of this initiative including by providing financial allocation, facilities and manpower. This is aligned with the government’s desire to not only seek industry development driven by the industry, but also driven by the learning institutions.
- Maritime, a varied and dynamic industry has a thriving manufacturing and export sector. In Britain, it is celebrated with awards for excellence in design and innovation, and which contributed approximately £900 million to the UK economy through exports in 2015/16.
- Shipping is a significant contributor to the Malaysian economy. In 2016, total trade was RM1.48 trillion. 4% of Malaysian trade is carried by sea. However, Malaysian shipping is affected by less favourable economic environment and poor market conditions. Prolonged and unsolved shortage of qualified local seafarers, coupled with increasing costs of employing foreign workers contributes to rising manning costs. The need to comply with international maritime conventions adds to operating costs (compliance costs). In addition, inadequate local ancillary support services (expertise, parts, equipment and yard facilities) add to operating costs and non-productive time.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- Through the Government mandates entrusted us as the Malaysia ICP Authority, TDA will make every effort to ensure that this initiative can be realized.To achieve that, we must ensure that any AMDeC requirements are met in line with projects already listed in the ICP. Currently, TDA manages 89 ICP Programs and 396 ICP projects worth RM76.7 billion (about USD18 billion). These programs and projects have triggered RM33.9 billion (about USD8 billion) worth of ICP Credit Value (ICV). TDA is actively identifying and negotiating the balance of the ICP programs to be implemented in Malaysia.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- May I take this opportunity again to express my deepest appreciation to to our Guest of Honor, Yang Berbahagia Dr Ong Kian Ming, Deputy Minister of International Trade and Industry Malaysiaand all stakeholders’ presence in this event. We are truly glad undertaking this Government mandate knowing to have full supports from all of you. I would like also to congratulate my TDA team and UniKL team whom have been working hard for the past weeks in ensuring the successful of today’s symposium.
Thank you very much.
Malaysia Shipping Master Plan 2017-2020